Slovenia’s Work & Holiday Visa for Australians
If you’re an Australian aged between 18 and 30 years old, you may be eligible for a Slovenian working holiday visa.
This allows you to live in Slovenia and travel within the Schengen Area for up to 12 months! You can also study for up to 4 months and work in Slovenia to help fund your travels for up to 6 months with any one employer (unless special permission has been granted).
This page contains information about the Slovenia Work and Holiday Visa for Australian citizens. It was last updated on 20 August 2021.
Travel to Slovenia is currently possible, but some COVID-19 entry requirements are in place. See the Slovenian government website for information on current COVID-19 travel requirements.
Please note that you may need a travel restriction exemption to leave Australia at this time.
Key facts about Slovenia
- Population: Approx. 2 million
- Official language: Slovenian (or Slovene)
- Capital city: Ljubljana
- Largest cities: Ljubljana, Maribor, Celje, Kranj
- Name of the country in Slovenian: Slovenija
- Currency: Euro
Slovenia Working Holiday Visa requirements for Australians
In addition to Australians, Slovenia offers working holiday visas to citizens of Canada & New Zealand. The information on this page applies to Australian citizens.
To apply for a Slovenian working holiday visa as an Australian citizen, you must meet the following requirements:
- Aged between 18-30 years old (inclusive) at the time of application
- Have a return ticket to Slovenia (or enough money to buy one)
- Have sufficient savings to support yourself in Slovenia (i.e. at least approx. AUD4,000)
- Have good health and meet Slovenia’s character requirements
- Hold “secondary school qualifications” (i.e. you have finished Year 12 in Australia)
You cannot apply for this visa if you:
- Will be accompanied by dependent children
- Have already participated in Slovenia’s working holiday program
More information may be available on the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia Canberra website.
Documents needed to apply for this visa
When applying for a Working Holiday Visa for Slovenia as an Australian citizen, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Completed long-term (type D) visa application form (PDF)
- Passport photo
- Passport with at least 3 months of validity after the intended date of departure from Slovenia
- Return flight ticket (or proof of enough money to purchase one)
- Bank statement/s showing proof of sufficient funds
- Proof of secondary school qualifications (e.g. Higher School Certificate)
- Proof of travel insurance with at least €30,000 (approx. AUD50,000) coverage for emergency medical expenses, hospitalisation and repatriation costs
- Proof of accommodation in Slovenia (e.g. a hotel booking)
- Letter of Australian government support
There is a visa fee of €77 (approx. AUD120) which is subject to change.
How to apply for a Slovenian Working Holiday Visa
Australian citizens can apply for a Working Holiday Visa in person by making an appointment at the Slovenian embassy in Canberra or the Australian embassy in Berlin.
You may also be able to apply via VFS Global, however there are additional fees involved and they simply pass your application on to the Slovenian embassy. You may be asked to attend the Slovenian embassy in Canberra for an interview anyway.
The normal visa processing time at the Slovenian embassy in Canberra is around 10 business days.
There is a limit of 200 working holiday visas for both Australians and Slovenians in each direction, per calendar year. However, it is unlikely that this limit will be reached by Australians travelling to Slovenia.
While best efforts are made to keep this information updated, we do not guarantee its accuracy. If you spot an error, would like to suggest new information to be added or simply have a question, please let us know in the comments and we’ll endeavour to respond or update the article as quickly as possible!